Wednesday, May 19, 2010



Launched yesterday from Alton Marina and locked through the Mel Price Lock headed for the Chain of Rocks lock and on to Hoppie's Marina in Kimmswick. My sister Brenda and her husband Jerry traveled from Kansas City to see me off. After transiting the Mel Price Lock I received information that the St. Louis Harbor below me was closed to recreational traffic blocking my intended route. The river is at lower to moderate flood stage, still safe for small craft, but the Coast Guard deemed it necessary to close the area due to potential wake damage from heavier recreational boats. The river crests on Wednesday and I hope the restriction will be lifted soon. After returning to my slip at Alton Marina Brenda, Jerry and I took the Mel Price Lock tour and watched the 1/4-mile-long tugs pass through the lock. Later I spent some additional time on the Mississippi with Dave, a longtime local, in his center console boat. He explained the history of the Alton, IL area to me. Everyone I've met is very willing to share their knowledge of the River and I am a good sponge. Now in wait mode.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Morgan. What is a Marine doing on a boat.
    Are you trying to be the next John Kerry?
    Travel safe.
    We miss you in Colorado.
    Bill Lindsay

    ReplyDelete